MHC in Beijing

Mount Holyoke's intensive, eight-week course in Chinese at Beijing Language and Culture University

July 08, 2006

Introduction

Hello, my name is Larissa. I'm 19 years old and am going to be a sophomore this fall at Mt. Holyoke College. I'm from Connecticut, and live with my mother, father, two younger sisters, and my younger brother. I am currently a German major, but along with German I also started taking Chinese at Mt. Holyoke last fall. This summer I am taking Intermediate Chinese at Beijing Language and Culture University through the Mt. Holyoke program. The program started on the 3rd of July and ends on the 25th of August. Since it covers a whole year of Chinese in 2 months, the program's very intensive (which essentially means we have a lot of homework), and it's taken me the entire week to get used to the hectic schedule around here.

Besides learning languages, I also like opera, classical music, reading, Bollywood movies/music, and knitting. My favorite movies are "My Sassy Girl," "The Lord of the Rings (all 3, but especially the third one)," "Moulin Rouge," "Indiana Jones (again, all 3)," "Back to the Future (once again, all 3)," and the list goes on. My favorite books are "Wuthering Heights," "The Sorrows of Young Werther," "Elective Affinities," "Jane Eyre," and "Crime and Punishment." My favorite composers are Bach, Verdi, and Richard Strauss. My favorite operas are Elektra, Aida, Rigolletto, Cappriccio, Medea (Cherubini), Arabella, L'Elisir d'Amore, La Fille du Regiment, and Norma. I love Law and Order (especially SVU), but I'm also a pretty big Trekkie (especially when it comes to DS9). I am being forced into liking Anime by my otherwise wonderful friend Emi, and my favorite Anime is definitely Chobits, although I don't like the ending. My list of favorite singers is too long to even begin to mention, because I'm just in love with the classical voice. :D

That's it for now. Today we're going to the Forbidden City and I need to start getting ready to leave. Hopefully I'll have a lot of good pictures to post later.